Emergency Shelter Programs
WTLC is the only program in Orange County that provides shelter for survivors of domestic violence and human trafficking with substance abuse issues, mental illness, and victims. We are proud of the fact that 96% of our shelter graduates embark on a violence free life. WTLC offers both a 45-day and a 90-day program.
- The 45-day shelter program provides survivors of domestic violence and human trafficking with shelter, legal support and advocacy, immigration assistance, education, job opportunities, case management, individual and family counseling and the opportunity to be in a safe environment.
- In our shelter program survivors learn to take charge of their own lives and become independent. Through our emergency shelter program we have assisted over 40,000 survivors of domestic violence and human trafficking.
- The 90-day shelter program provides survivors with substance abuse issues the opportunity to work on their sobriety along with working on self - sufficiency. 85% of the survivors in our 90-day program successfully graduate. Overall, 96% of shelter residents move on to live in safe environments.
Case management is an intricate part of the emergency residential program. Upon entering the shelter our primary purpose is for each survivor to feel safe and to allow themselves the opportunity to explore their options in a calm and supportive environment, thus allowing the survivors to make informed decisions for themselves and their children. At our emergency shelter program survivors are encouraged to explore some of the patterns in their lives in order to assist them to alleviate the guilt some feel as a result of being victims of domestic violence and human trafficking. Unfortunately, most survivors erroneously feel as they somehow have created their situation. During their stay in our residential program survivors are connected to other agencies in order to meet all their practical and legal needs. All practical needs are discussed and assessed and all clients receive counseling, psycho-educational classes and attend regular process groups. All residents are encouraged to work on their self-esteem, self-confidence and self-empowerment.
WTLC offers a wide range of groups for clients to attend. The groups are held in our residential programs and are conducted by our qualified counselors, advocates, staff community professionals, and/ or volunteers.
- Domestic Violence Education and Safety Plan
- Anger Management
- Menu Planning
- A Window Between Worlds
- Parenting and Family Planning
- Gang Prevention
- Substance Abuse and Prevention
- Arts and Crafts
- Career and Self Esteem
- Relaxation/facial and Makeup
- Drama Therapy
- Independent Living Skills
- Feelings/Personal Hygiene
- AL-ANON, Narcotics Anonymous
Please review the Client Bill of Rights here.
WTLC provides individual, group and family counseling to all its clients. WTLC has a supportive counseling team that helps the survivors through their difficult emotional journey. Counselors are aware of the practical needs of each survivor and help the clients to know themselves and become emotionally strong. Counseling provides the clients with a new perspective on their situation. Counselors may continue to work with the clients and care for them after they finish the Emergency Shelter program through our Transitional Housing Program and Community Outreach.
For more information on our legal advocacy program please click here.
Human Trafficking Program:
WTLC Human Trafficking Program recognizes the uncertain obstacles uniquely facing these individuals. WTLC is equipped to handle and serve this clientele regardless of circumstances or background. WTLC promotes and supports the rehabilitation of all human trafficking victims, and connects them to the available resources for legal, medical and other needed services. Human trafficking has a devastating impact on individual victims, who often suffer physical and emotional abuse, rape, threats against self and family, passport theft, and even death. The impact of human trafficking goes beyond individual victims; it undermines the safety and security of all nations it touches. WTLC is working for the prevention of trafficking worldwide.
For more Information on Human Trafficking and our program click here.