24 Aug Celebrating August
How is it already August? It feels like it could still be April, yet summer will be winding down soon, and we’ll be on our way to figuring out what “back to school” looks like, pumpkin-spiced everything, and then – before we know it – the holiday season.
But, wait! Before we get too far ahead of ourselves, let’s focus on August, which also happens to be National Admit You’re Happy Month. In 2022, you might be wondering if being happy is something you could admit to—but even during challenging times, there are ways to boost your mood and try to celebrate the good things in life. Here is a list that we came across to help us get started:
- Write yourself a note to pump yourself up. Stick it somewhere you’ll see it for an extra boost of encouragement throughout the day.
- Write someone else a friendly note—just because. This can make you happy, plus it can pass that happiness along to someone else.
- Practice positivity. See how long you can go without complaining once, then try to beat your high score the next day.
- Spend time outdoors. Nature has ways of instilling joy in us. It’s still summer, so set up a kiddy pool and pretend you’re at the beach.
- Go on an adventure. Skip the planner for a day and see where the road takes you.
- Treat yourself. Try making yourself a delicious carefree snack. Become your own Iron Chef.
- Pay it forward. Find joy simply by paying for the person behind you at the coffee shop or drive-thru.
- Have a dance party. In your house alone or with other people, break it down and “dance it out” like Meredith and Christina in Grey’s Anatomy.
- Chill out all day. Take a day “off” and spend it lounging around and relaxing to give yourself a much-needed mental and physical break.
- Donate to a cause. Pick a charity you believe in and be generous.
Overall, it is worth the effort to learn that taking care of ourselves is important and to extend that care to our family, friends, and community to continue to spread support and love.
What are methods that you have learned to use to make yourself happy?