Dear Friends of WTLC,
Women’s History Month is an annual celebration honoring the contributions of women to American history, culture, and society. With the strides toward equality that women have made in recent years, it is easy to fall into the trap of thinking that a whole month dedicated to women’s achievements is no longer needed. At the time of the conception of Women’s History Week, activists saw the designation as a way to revise a written and social American history that largely ignored women’s contributions. Today, Women’s History Month gives us the opportunity to acknowledge these women’s struggles, celebrate their achievements and vision, and renew our commitment to continued gender equality
When it comes to history, the story of women is largely one of exclusion, silence, absence and bias, and we need a month (at minimum) to counter the unbalance. Women have always been there, influencing human civilizations and the rise and fall of nations. Modernity hasn’t made women great; women made women great. The need for us to make an extra effort to learn about women who have played important roles in history continues.
So this Women’s History month, we encourage you to learn a know a woman’s name. Know her history. Know what she did, how she did it, and why she did it. Shining a light on women’s contributions to the chronicles of human history makes us equal humans, equally worthy of being remembered for our deeds. Women’s History Month matters because women’s history needs to matter to us.
- Happy Holidays!
- Leading with Kindness: Share Kindness on World Kindness Day
- Do You Know That You Have the Power to Create Safer and Healthier Communities?
- Striving to Become the Premier Service Provider for Survivors of Domestic Violence and Human Trafficking
- Join Us in Recognizing Our Favorite Nonprofit Organizations for National Nonprofit Month
- Nearing the End of the Beginning
- Solidifying our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Acknowledging You – Our Community and Support
- We’re Here For You: Our Response to COVID-19
- Understanding the Connection Between Domestic Violence and Homelessness
- Reimagining our Role in Our Community
- A Community of Support
- WTLC’s Exciting Future
- 2020-2023 Strategic Plan
- Serving the Underserved
- Happy Pride!
- Guns and DV
- Volunteers Are Our Heart
- Healing and Learning to Love Again
- Happy New Year